Hi everyone!

As part of my photography course, I have to track my development on a blog. The posts from September 2011 until January 2012 are part of a module called Project Management, for which I was required to work in a group of eight students to create an exhibition. The blog followed every step we took in order to create a successful gallery. The blog posts starting from September 2012 follow my final year on the course. I'll be documenting my research and analysis of my final year projects, as well as include notes of my Professional Practice unit - which prepares us for a range of post graduate options. Finally it also looks at a project called New Creatives, where I'll be working alongside an artists to help college students get more involved with art.

Friday, October 14, 2011

Meeting...

We had another meeting yesterday before the lecture where we discussed the roles we'd have to do, ideas about the logo, how we should present our work and a little to do list. Since it has pretty much been decided to get the Ultraviolet venue we have based the notes around this. Money-wise we would have to pay £30 for the venue (£3.33 each) plus a £60 deposit (which we'd get back by the end). We also have to pay £7 for the domain name (£0.77 each).

The roles include who will be the boss, who does advertising, who helps with sponsorship and fundraising, who does the website, who contacts the council and who could chat to the other groups to see what they have been up to. I haven't really been assigned anything within that so I am going to help with advertising and trying to get the word out as much as I can (including giving out leaflets, talking to freshers etc).

When it comes to presenting our work - which has been the main problem for me - the group has decided that we want to have portfolios and maybe 1 or 2 photos on the wall. We could maybe have installation pieces, projects on the floor, projections, hanging work from the ceiling, or mounted and framed prints. I'd like to mount my work and hang it up on the wall. The wall space is very limiting for me as I want to have A3 prints (at least 4). I am not sure how all of this is going to work out but we will discuss that in more detail in the next meeting.

Our to do list includes finding a venue for the bake sale, find a different venue (or another venue) - which is what I am part of - make posters (I am also doing this), get information about where we could print our work the cheapest, measure the dimensions of Ultraviolet, finish the logo and find the name of the font used, phone the council and ask whether we could advertise on the big screen, find out about hiring chairs and tables.

The idea behind the exhibition now is to have a little sitting area where people can read books while drinking tea and eating cakes. We will print out a portfolio (perhaps 2) and let people sit down, relax with a cup of tea and look through our books. This is a very different experience from what most galleries are like and so ours will (hopefully) stand out. Although a negative could be that people will enjoy the company more than they will actually look at our work.

Another idea is saying that the visitors are only allowed in the exhibition for a certain amount of time to prevent overcrowding. The place will get very packed very quickly. I do think that putting a time limit on how long people are allowed in the gallery isn't a very good idea, although it will stop it from getting too packed, it also stops people from fully appreciating the work. Another way of preventing the place to overcrowd is that when we are printing the leaflets we put different times on every leaflet. This way people will come at different times during the day.

It might be worth getting name tags, there will be a lot of people in a small space and when someone has a question about someone's work they will know who to approach. The main idea behind our exhibition is to create a more personal and intimate experience for people to come and view our work while drinking warm tea and eating cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment