Hi everyone!

As part of my photography course, I have to track my development on a blog. The posts from September 2011 until January 2012 are part of a module called Project Management, for which I was required to work in a group of eight students to create an exhibition. The blog followed every step we took in order to create a successful gallery. The blog posts starting from September 2012 follow my final year on the course. I'll be documenting my research and analysis of my final year projects, as well as include notes of my Professional Practice unit - which prepares us for a range of post graduate options. Finally it also looks at a project called New Creatives, where I'll be working alongside an artists to help college students get more involved with art.

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Lightbox gallery...

I visited the Lightbox gallery in Woking a couple weeks ago and it was quite helpful towards this project. There wasn't a photography exhibition on at the moment, but I enjoyed it regardless. The exhibition that was on throughout the whole gallery was called "From the Realm of the Dragon: The Ceramic Heritage of Zibo, China. Every room had different collections of ceramics in them, but I think that it was thanks to the layout of the rooms that it didn't look clustered. 

The gallery was very spacious and instead of looking at the ceramics as something ordinary, having it exhibited in such a large area it looked sacred and the ceramics are fully appreciated. All the rooms in the gallery were designed in the 'white cube' style, again making everything look inspirational. 

There were two rooms that didn't take part in this exhibition. One of the rooms was the completely opposite of the 'white cube' style of presenting. To me it looked very full, almost too busy to appreciate the work, and there seemed to be a lot going on. There were large stickers with text on the floor (left), it had tv screens with headsets, many artefacts, a dress up area for children and much more. Although it did take into consideration a bit of what everyone likes, it was almost too full. The part of the exhibition I did like were the photos. There were presented in grid format matching photographs with artefacts.

The other room was similar to the ceramics gallery in the way that it was very simple. The room had paintings all along the walls and in the middle were about 20 chairs facing the walls where people could sit and view the work. It was very simple, yet professional. I like the elegance a 'white cube' gallery portrays, it is simple and to the point. There aren't any distractions and people will only focus on your work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment