Hi everyone!

As part of my photography course, I have to track my development on a blog. The posts from September 2011 until January 2012 are part of a module called Project Management, for which I was required to work in a group of eight students to create an exhibition. The blog followed every step we took in order to create a successful gallery. The blog posts starting from September 2012 follow my final year on the course. I'll be documenting my research and analysis of my final year projects, as well as include notes of my Professional Practice unit - which prepares us for a range of post graduate options. Finally it also looks at a project called New Creatives, where I'll be working alongside an artists to help college students get more involved with art.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Galleries...

When I was in Miami last summer, I went to look at an exhibition by Peter Lik. He is an absolutely fantastic landscape photography and he is one of my biggest inspirations. His gallery was in the middle of a shopping street called "Lincoln Road" just off of Miami beach. Thus, it was a very popular location for both tourists and locals. The gallery was (right) was very modern looking at quite dark, however the photographs almost looked as though they were giving off light. There were spotlights on every photograph and because the photographs were so outstandingly colourful and bright it made a real impression on me. The photographs he printed were very large, about 1 to 2 meters. This is the type of gallery I would love to have - although I think at the moment it might be a bit out of my reach. 

Another gallery which I visited in Miami was one by Clyde Butcher. He is also a landscape photographer, however, exactly the opposite of Peter Lik. Peter Lik's exhibition was very vibrant and colourful, however Clyde Butcher's gallery is a lot less colourful. He uses a large format camera and most of his photographs are in black and white. The picture on the left side is an example of his gallery. While it was a gallery, at the same time it was a shop - all of his large, framed photographs were able to be purchased. He also sold post cards, books and much more. He prints all of his images himself in his own darkroom, if you look on his website (http://www.clydebutcher.com/home.cfm) under "technical info" it explains what equipment he uses!

No comments:

Post a Comment