Hi everyone!

As part of my photography course, I have to track my development on a blog. The posts from September 2011 until January 2012 are part of a module called Project Management, for which I was required to work in a group of eight students to create an exhibition. The blog followed every step we took in order to create a successful gallery. The blog posts starting from September 2012 follow my final year on the course. I'll be documenting my research and analysis of my final year projects, as well as include notes of my Professional Practice unit - which prepares us for a range of post graduate options. Finally it also looks at a project called New Creatives, where I'll be working alongside an artists to help college students get more involved with art.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Project



I decided I should get my photos printed out to both test the quality and make it easier to find a sequence that works. I got them printed 6x4, but unfortunately the place where I got the photos printed edited the photos and completely changed the colours in the photos. It seems as though they have brightened up all of the photos and added green to others. It’s extremely disappointing because when I get my photos printed I trust them not to manipulate the images.

Anyway, aside from the different colours, it was still helpful to print them out. Seeing all the photos together made it a lot easier to decide on the order of the photos. As you can see from the image, I have a lot of woodland photographs. This is mainly because it was my favourite place to photograph. My original plan was to shoot in a deadpan style, however I love the patterns the sun creates through the trees. I only choose to print two heathland photographs, because these are the only two that I liked (so far). The bottom one is my favourite because of the repetition of the horizontal lines (the cloud, the trees and the heathland). The third row has the overgrown stage. It has quite a few photos, but I only like the fourth and the fifth one. I took these on the latest Photoshoot I’ve been on and I feel that they work the best. There is enough of a vantage point to match the rest of the photos and there is enough different between the heathland and the overgrown stage. Finally, the last row has the chopped down area, or the clearing. I quite like all three of the photos, they’re very different from each other: the top and bottom photos have a far vantage point, whereas the middle photo clearly shows the horizontal and vertical lines.

The three photos below are different sequences I could use. Succession is an endless cycle so I’m not sure where to start. The first photo would be an appropriate start because the majority of England used to be covered in heathland, then the woodland started to take over and lastly, because of the various management programs, the woodland has been chopped down. This would be a good order, but I don’t like the look of it. I don’t like how the woodland stage is in the middle; I think it would look much better with the heathland in the middle and the woodland to the side. 


The second photo starts with the cleared area, followed by the heathland, then the overgrown area and finally the woodland area. I think this looks a lot better – the sequence starts with trees (in the background) and finished with the same look. I don’t think the third photo fits in the sequence as there isn’t a far enough vantage point.

The third photo is yet again another order. This shows that the majority of England is now covered in woodland and it demonstrates how the woodland will eventually take over again. I quite like the look of this too because the two middle photographs clearly show the horizon, whereas the outer two photos have a lot more going on. The outer two photos frame the inner two.

I think my favourite order is the middle one, although I’d use a different set of photographs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment