Hi everyone!

As part of my photography course, I have to track my development on a blog. The posts from September 2011 until January 2012 are part of a module called Project Management, for which I was required to work in a group of eight students to create an exhibition. The blog followed every step we took in order to create a successful gallery. The blog posts starting from September 2012 follow my final year on the course. I'll be documenting my research and analysis of my final year projects, as well as include notes of my Professional Practice unit - which prepares us for a range of post graduate options. Finally it also looks at a project called New Creatives, where I'll be working alongside an artists to help college students get more involved with art.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

New Creatives

As you can see from the facebook snapshot to the left, I've been quite busy. I got myself a part time job at Subway, I was selected for a program called New Creatives (explanation below), I heard back from Fergus Heron and I will be assisting him on a photoshoot, I've done a large format shoot, made a time lapse, I have a job interview for The Body Shop, my cousin came over to visit from Holland, and I think that's about it. Other than that I've been trying to memorize all the subway sandwiches, do all my uni work, attend lectures and that general stuff.



I received an email saying the following:
The University of Portsmouth, Aspex Gallery and six FE colleges/sixth form colleges are jointly inviting Creative and Cultural Industries students to work with a commissioned artist for New Creatives 2013, an artist-led exhibition project aiming to inspire FE students and exploring ‘Does making things make us human?’. Please note this is an unpaid, voluntary work initiative.

What’s in it for you?

Three selected CCI students will each work as ‘buddies’ with a commissioned professional artist who will lead the students in two FE colleges each, from the period September 2012 – May 2013. The participating colleges are South Downs, Highbury, Gosport, Havant, St Vincent and Fareham.

The external influence of working with a professional artist, gallery, Faculty member and FE college will build your confidence and provide professional practice. You will experience how creative professionals work in education and learn how a ‘creative brief’ can be delivered in a wider cultural context, at the same time as learning personal skills such as negotiation, organisation and communication skills.

The project will give you the opportunity to make your own creative blog in support of the artists which will be linked to from the New Creatives website www.newcreatives.org.uk

What’s the job?

If selected you will be asked to:

•       Attend a launch event on 22 October 2012 at Aspex Gallery.
•       Liaise closely with one of the commissioned professional artists on your availability.
•       Shadow or buddy the artist on two visits to FE colleges, observing, recording and assisting where necessary.
•       Remain in contact with the CCI Faculty Promotions Manager as a link between colleges, artists and the University.
•       Record your experience as part of your professional practice as a student creative practitioner.
•       Act as an ‘ambassador’ for the Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries in a key regional cultural project.
•       Attend the exhibition preview at Aspex on Friday 8 March 2013.

How can I participate?

Please send a 200-300 word ‘expression of interest’ plus your CV, including your contact details by email todenise.callender@port.ac.uk.

Deadline for submissions: Monday 8 October 2012.


I don't usually go for opportunities like these, but figured I might as well try and if I get it I get it, if I don't I don't. I wasn't really expecting to hear back because my CV isn't really the best and I'm not very good at writing why I should be chosen out of however many people apply.

Anyway, I just tried and wrote a little statement explaining I've been looking into jobs when I'm finished with my course, and explained that all employers are looking for experience, and that helping out with this would be exactly the kind of experience I need. I went on to explain how I've set up a gallery in groups and added my blog address.

I applied on the 1st of October and heard back on the 11th of October:


Dear Elaine
I am delighted to inform you that you have been selected as a buddy for the New Creatives artist-led exhibition project.
Please take some time to make yourself familiar with the website and the attached document which is a guide aimed at the participating colleges, but will also give you and understanding of how the project operates. There are some key marker dates on page 3 which you should make a note of. Vicky Chiswell at Aspex and I would be delighted if you could attend the project launch on 22nd October at Aspex at 4pm. Please confirm that you can attend.
I would like to meet the 3 selected buddies for a coffee meeting in Eldon Building Arts Cafe next Wednesday 17th October at 1.30 pm - please also confirm if you are free to attend this.
I look forward to hearing from you.


Tomorrow I will be attending the exhibition at Aspex and I'll meet the other artists. It's all really exciting and will be a massive benefit to have on my CV.

No comments:

Post a Comment