Hi everyone!

As part of my photography course, I have to track my development on a blog. The posts from September 2011 until January 2012 are part of a module called Project Management, for which I was required to work in a group of eight students to create an exhibition. The blog followed every step we took in order to create a successful gallery. The blog posts starting from September 2012 follow my final year on the course. I'll be documenting my research and analysis of my final year projects, as well as include notes of my Professional Practice unit - which prepares us for a range of post graduate options. Finally it also looks at a project called New Creatives, where I'll be working alongside an artists to help college students get more involved with art.

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Large Format Photoshoot 1


The shoot started at 11 in the morning and finished at 12.40 on the 13th of October. It started off as a cloudy day, but as the day went on it became more and more sunny. I took 4 photographs and tried to get similar lighting in each of the photographs. I used an aperture of 16 so the majority of the photograph would be in focus. The shutter speeds varied quite a bit.

1.      Woodland: 1/8 second aperture 16
a.      

I started off with the woodland stage as it was right when I entered the area. I took a photo in a similar location as the photo to the right seeing as this was my favourite location. The day started off very cloudy and thus there will not be any intricate shadows in the photo. Using the large format camera meant that I was much more concerned with the layout of the photograph and I spent a great deal of time making sure the horizon was in the middle and straight.

2.      Heathland: 1/30 second aperture 16
a.      I looked at the heathland stage next. By the second photo I was a bit more confident of the order of things. Setting up the camera went a lot quicker and I was able to adjust the settings a focus with a lot more assurance. The photo was taken in the same location as the photo to the right, but it was a lot cloudier – adding to the deadpan style of photography.

3.      Chopped: 1/125 second aperture 16
a.      

This is when the weather really started to get quite difficult. It became a lot brighter and there were less clouds in the sky. I tried to take a photo when the sun was covered, but unfortunately, the sky in the photo had a lot more blue in it than I would have liked. This photo was taken in the same place as the photo on the right.

4.      Overgrown: 1/60 second aperture 16
a.      Lastly, I looked at the overgrown area. This was the most difficult as at this point the sky was completely blue. Fortunately, there were two big grey clouds coming past so I measured the exposure with the light meter during the first cloud and took the photo during the second cloud. Obviously I checked the light meter settings again just in case, but there was very limited time to take the photo during the shade. Again the photo was taken in the same place as the photo above.

No comments:

Post a Comment