Hi everyone!

As part of my photography course, I have to track my development on a blog. The posts from September 2011 until January 2012 are part of a module called Project Management, for which I was required to work in a group of eight students to create an exhibition. The blog followed every step we took in order to create a successful gallery. The blog posts starting from September 2012 follow my final year on the course. I'll be documenting my research and analysis of my final year projects, as well as include notes of my Professional Practice unit - which prepares us for a range of post graduate options. Finally it also looks at a project called New Creatives, where I'll be working alongside an artists to help college students get more involved with art.

Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Kindness of Strangers

While shooting in Horsell Common today, a dogwalker came up to me and was very interested in the large format camera. We had a little chat and he told me he also had a large format camera, which was about 100 years old! He seemed very impressed with the one from the University and also liked the sound of my project. It was nice to have a chat with someone about my project and who also had a passion for the large format camera.

A little bit later we saw him approaching us again, but this time he had a camera with him instead. He asked me if I was interested in 35mm photography as well, and when I answered yes he offered to give me his Nikon 35mm film camera and "a box with a few other things". I was literally overjoyed! It was such a nice camera with a great lens. We came over to his house where he had laid out all the gear (Photo above). It wasn't "a few other things" he had everything! Including a second lens, a whole range of filters, a flashgun, a second film camera, a bag, a roll of film, various clearers, etc. It was incredible, and he gave it all away for free! He also showed me his large format camera, which was larger than the 5x4, and a 35mm Leica camera. He explained he used to collect cameras and that's why he had such a nice set!

I'm so thankful for all the gear he gave me, I've already been playing around with the camera and it's fantastic!! Expect to see a whole load of film shots over the next couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment