Hi everyone!

As part of my photography course, I have to track my development on a blog. The posts from September 2011 until January 2012 are part of a module called Project Management, for which I was required to work in a group of eight students to create an exhibition. The blog followed every step we took in order to create a successful gallery. The blog posts starting from September 2012 follow my final year on the course. I'll be documenting my research and analysis of my final year projects, as well as include notes of my Professional Practice unit - which prepares us for a range of post graduate options. Finally it also looks at a project called New Creatives, where I'll be working alongside an artists to help college students get more involved with art.

Friday, January 18, 2013

52 Week Challenge: Week 3

This week the theme is stone. I have never really thought of stone as a theme for my photography, so thinking of an idea was quite hard. I didn't want to do anything too obvious, like take a close-up shot of some rocks, so instead of thinking of a stone itself, I wanted something more broad. I really like landscape photography and thus wanted to somehow combine the two, that's how I came up with the idea of shooting at Portsmouth beach. It's a pebble beach so would fit with the theme. When I think of beaches, they're sandy and soft and warm and sunny. I looked at the completely opposite of the stereotype: cold, stones, snow, cloudy: miserable really. My original plan was to go on a normal winter day, just cold and miserable but I didn't anticipate the snow! I went to the beach nice and early, at 9 in the morning.

I quite like the photo, it's taken in a deadpan style so something that comes across in quite a bit of my work. I have never taken a snowy beach picture so it's definitely a first. I tried to get the camera as straight as possible. You can't really tell from the photo, but it was so incredibly windy and cold and snowy all at the same time. You could hardly look up as snow would get into your eyes!


No comments:

Post a Comment