Hi everyone!

As part of my photography course, I have to track my development on a blog. The posts from September 2011 until January 2012 are part of a module called Project Management, for which I was required to work in a group of eight students to create an exhibition. The blog followed every step we took in order to create a successful gallery. The blog posts starting from September 2012 follow my final year on the course. I'll be documenting my research and analysis of my final year projects, as well as include notes of my Professional Practice unit - which prepares us for a range of post graduate options. Finally it also looks at a project called New Creatives, where I'll be working alongside an artists to help college students get more involved with art.

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Analysis of Tutorials


For the 1:1 tutorial I presented both of my ideas to Judy and she said she preferred the motion blur images, and thus for the group tutorial I decided to only talk about that project and leave out the second one.
The summary of the 1:1 tutorial is basically do A LOT of research. I have the visuals for the project, however I haven’t quite got a concept yet. Judy has given me a whole load of things to look at.
The group tutorial was really beneficial. Everyone said that they loved my photos, which was a relief. No one on the course has done images like this before (that I know of) so it’s definitely original. Again, it was said that the concept might need some more work, but Daniel explained that I shouldn’t pressure a concept, I should just see how the project continues. Because I showed the work on my iPad, Daniel said it looked a bit like Hockney’s iPad drawings, so I need to think carefully about how I want to present the work (digital or printed). People found the pictures interested due to the ambiguous nature.
We then moved on to talk about where the project could do. Daniel first mentioned I should create a motion blur time lapse. I was pretty shocked, how on earth can I create that?? But I’ve been thinking about it for a little while and I’d love to try it! He also mentioned I should use the medium format digital back to get the most amazing quality. I explained that I love the large format, both Judy and Daniel said I should try it on the large format camera, which could end up being easier. Other things that were mentioned by the group were to really test everything: different types of motion blur, and movements of the camera, different mediums and different ways of presenting. I have to put my own stamp on it.
When we got to the critical thinking part, no one really knew what to say – which I obviously loved. The main things that were said is to make sure it’s not too amateur and that I need a concept, it shouldn’t just be about the technicality of it.
Finally we arrived at the overview, which basically just says do a lot of work. From today until Friday I'll be doing a whole load of research. Learning more about motion blur and in camera movement, looking at paintings and drawings and of course photographers. Saturday I will be going out with the large format camera (5x4) to take some shots (very exciting) and on Sunday I will attempt to make a motion blur time lapse (very exciting too!). Hopefully the colour processor will have been fixed by then, or else I'd have to go on a trip to Southampton to get the photos developed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment