Hi everyone!

As part of my photography course, I have to track my development on a blog. The posts from September 2011 until January 2012 are part of a module called Project Management, for which I was required to work in a group of eight students to create an exhibition. The blog followed every step we took in order to create a successful gallery. The blog posts starting from September 2012 follow my final year on the course. I'll be documenting my research and analysis of my final year projects, as well as include notes of my Professional Practice unit - which prepares us for a range of post graduate options. Finally it also looks at a project called New Creatives, where I'll be working alongside an artists to help college students get more involved with art.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

28 millimetres project - JR...



JR is absolutely amazing. "JR owns the biggest art gallery in the world. He exhibits freely in the streets of the world, catching the attention of people who are not the museum visitors. His work mixes Art and Act, talks about commitment, freedom, identity and limit." (http://jr-art.net/). In the video above, JR explains how his project 28 millimetres started and how it has progressed over time. 

From: www.guardian.co.uk
I think JR is the most creative artist around. Who would have thought of displaying their work on a train or as a rooftop? The photographs he exhibits aren't about him, they are about the people he photographs. The photographs he has taken of the women in Kenya are about the women and their role in the society. "He embarked for a long international trip for "Women", a project in which he underlines the dignity of women who are often the targets of conflicts. Of course, it didn't change the world, but sometimes a single laugher in an unexpected place makes you dream that it could." (http://jr-art.net/).

"As he remains anonymous and doesn't explain his huge full frame portraits of people making faces, JR leaves the space empty for an encounter between the subject/protagonist and the passer-by/interpreter. This is what JR is working on. Raising questions..." (http://jr-art.net/). "JR's anonymity is crucial to the integrity of his work: this is an artist who prides himself on operating under the radar, on creating dazzling installations in unexpected places through the force of his personality and vision. 'The fact that I stay anonymous means I can exhibit wherever I want,' he explains with a broad grin, a plate of microwaved lamb tagine balanced precariously on his knees. 'No one knows my name, so it's easy for me to travel." (www.guardian.co.uk)

No comments:

Post a Comment