Hi everyone!

As part of my photography course, I have to track my development on a blog. The posts from September 2011 until January 2012 are part of a module called Project Management, for which I was required to work in a group of eight students to create an exhibition. The blog followed every step we took in order to create a successful gallery. The blog posts starting from September 2012 follow my final year on the course. I'll be documenting my research and analysis of my final year projects, as well as include notes of my Professional Practice unit - which prepares us for a range of post graduate options. Finally it also looks at a project called New Creatives, where I'll be working alongside an artists to help college students get more involved with art.

Friday, March 15, 2013

Title


Thinking of a title is probably the hardest part of the whole project. I don’t want anything cheesy or obvious, but I don’t want something that sounds silly or too abstract. When seeing the title, I want people to start to understand the work, but not completely give it away.
I’ve been thinking about a title for a long time, but it wasn’t until the group tutorial recently that we got the ball rolling. Some things that were suggested were “moving on” or “immigration” or simply “movement”. It seemed to simple and rather obvious. I don’t want the title to ruin the whole piece!
Then Dan (a course mate) thought of the idea of adding up all the miles I’ve travelled together and have that be the title. I thought it was a fantastic idea!! It shows the distance I’ve travelled, without using obvious words.

I started to think about whether to include every single move, or just the out of country moves.
Moves:
1.      Within The Netherlands
2.      From Netherlands to America
3.      From America to Netherlands
4.      From Netherlands to UK
5.      Within the UK
6.      Within the UK
I don’t think the moves within the same country are as important as that happens a lot more. The 3 photos also indicate the three countries where I have lived, thus it would be more appropriate to only add the distances of the moves abroad, to The Netherlands to America, America to The Netherlands and The Netherlands to England.
I used the following website to find out the distance as google maps wouldn’t work as it was an overseas action.



I could only get approximate locations so that’s what I did first:
Rotterdam, The Netherlands – Newark, New Jersey: 3639.962 Miles
Newark, New Jersey – Rotterdam, The Netherlands: 3629.962 Miles
Rotterdam, The Netherlands – London, UK: 198.990 Miles
= 7478.914
I wanted to be more specific so I used Google Maps to determine the exact miles between where I actually lived and the approximate location:
Nieuwerkerk a/d IJssel – Rotterdam: 11.3 Miles
Newark – Upper Saddle River: 28.3 Miles
London – Gerrards Cross: 22.0 Miles
So all together the distance would be:
First Move: 11.3+3639.962+28.3 = 3679.562
Second Move: 28.3+3639.962+11.3 = 3679.562
Third Move: 11.3+198.990+22.0 = 232.29

Altogether:
7591 Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment