Hi everyone!

As part of my photography course, I have to track my development on a blog. The posts from September 2011 until January 2012 are part of a module called Project Management, for which I was required to work in a group of eight students to create an exhibition. The blog followed every step we took in order to create a successful gallery. The blog posts starting from September 2012 follow my final year on the course. I'll be documenting my research and analysis of my final year projects, as well as include notes of my Professional Practice unit - which prepares us for a range of post graduate options. Finally it also looks at a project called New Creatives, where I'll be working alongside an artists to help college students get more involved with art.

Saturday, March 9, 2013

New Creatives

Yesterday was the New Creatives preview night at Aspex Gallery and it was absolutely fantastic! It was great to have a chat with the other buddies about their experience but also to see all the work up on the wall. It's a proud moment!! Portsmouth college were in the cafe space and Havant college were in the main exhibition room. There were maps that indicated which work belongs to who and which college, which was very well organised. 

My video was up on the wall in the cafe area, although a bit biased, it was definitely the best place in the gallery! The video was looped so it played over and over again. It starts off with some images taken at each of the colleges showing the progression of the work, and then it goes into a time lapse video of the curation. There are two different scenes, the image to the right is the second scene. After the time lapse there is a quote by Oliver Merkin talking about his experience of New Creatives, followed my a quote by myself. Alongside my work, I also had a little tag that explained I was a buddy.

The picture to the left was taken by Lauren Whatling, who offered to photograph the event. It shows some of the work created by Portsmouth College. It's very professionally presented and it looks great. I've said this so many times, but to see how the students' work has progressed over such a short period of time is amazing. I remember going to Portsmouth College for the first time and no body really knew how to interpret the theme.

 The work to the right is some of the things created by Havent College. Again, seeing how these small ideas built up into something that looks so professional is great. The doodle piece is definitely my favourite. It must have taken so much time and patience to create it as it's all hand drawn.

All in all, I'm very happy to have been part of New Creatives. It has taught me some of the things I can do when I have finished the course, such as working in a gallery, being a curator or being a teacher. It was also shown me what a professional artist does. This experience has been a professional practice and has been a lot more valuable than a lecture on that topic. Thanks to New Creatives I've also gained more confidence in myself, both to talk about my work but also to help others with theirs.


No comments:

Post a Comment