Hi everyone!

As part of my photography course, I have to track my development on a blog. The posts from September 2011 until January 2012 are part of a module called Project Management, for which I was required to work in a group of eight students to create an exhibition. The blog followed every step we took in order to create a successful gallery. The blog posts starting from September 2012 follow my final year on the course. I'll be documenting my research and analysis of my final year projects, as well as include notes of my Professional Practice unit - which prepares us for a range of post graduate options. Finally it also looks at a project called New Creatives, where I'll be working alongside an artists to help college students get more involved with art.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

New Website

After the website/portfolio tutorial a couple days ago I decided it's time for a new website. I've been quite frustrated with Wix ever since I've had it. It's quite hard to use and it didn't really let me do what I wanted it to do. The hosting fee was every expensive and there were always wix adverts on the page. You couldn't view the website on a mobile device which is a bit useless since everyone uses their phone/ipads a lot more.

Anyway so I started to think about what other websites I could use to create a website. I first decided to look at Tumblr. I'm not a massive tumblr fan and had never used it before, but I decided to give it a go. It was probably the hardest thing to do. I was so confused and had no idea how it worked. The website still isn't working properly, but it already looks much better than my wix. It's more like a blog format, but I don't want to use it as a blog. I was able to combine text with the images and add videos. I think the website is a lot better already.

I am able to add my domain to the site - I've been trying for about 3 hours. There have been all sorts of problems. First I had to make sure it didn't connect to my wix anymore. I found out I have to change the IP address for the domain so it would link to Tumblr's domain. However I wasn't able to do that myself and had to chat with the domain website for a while to try and get that sorted. After a whole lot of problems it was finally fixed. But then more problems started happening.... In the end I decided to completely delete my wix website and account. I also applied to delete my domain and to use a different website, but I've put that on hold and I want to see whether I will be able to connect my domain with my tumblr now that my wix is out of the way.

Back to the website. At the moment the "message" tab isn't working. No idea how to add information to that page so I'll have to research that. At the moment I've only added 4 of my favourite projects and a bit of text about the projects. Daniel said that my projects were much stronger than my actual portfolio, so I'll leave it like this for a while. I do want to add my favourite travel images,but maybe under a different header (when I figure out how to do all that).

http://elaine721.tumblr.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment