Hi everyone!

As part of my photography course, I have to track my development on a blog. The posts from September 2011 until January 2012 are part of a module called Project Management, for which I was required to work in a group of eight students to create an exhibition. The blog followed every step we took in order to create a successful gallery. The blog posts starting from September 2012 follow my final year on the course. I'll be documenting my research and analysis of my final year projects, as well as include notes of my Professional Practice unit - which prepares us for a range of post graduate options. Finally it also looks at a project called New Creatives, where I'll be working alongside an artists to help college students get more involved with art.

Friday, September 28, 2012

Professional Practice

I'm currently in my third year at the University of Portsmouth, studying photography. I set up this blog last year as part of a module called "Project Management". For this unit a group of students and myself had to create and organise our own exhibition. Together we had to find a venue, design a logo, advertise our exhibition and much more. This blog looked closely at all the steps we had to take in order to have a successful exhibition.

This year we have to continue our blogs in a unit called "Professional Practice". This unit is all about preparing us for a range of post graduate options - whether we want to be a freelance photographer, a photographers' assistant, work for a company, be a curator etc. It will consist of lectures, workshops and visiting speakers, all of which need to be documented on our blogs. By the end of this academic year we will have to have set up our own final year exhibition as well as have an online and/or physical portfolio, and lastly have a professional practice plan of 750 words basically explaining what we want to do when we're finished with our course.

This blog will both document my journey of deciding what direction of photography I want to go into, as well as academic research into other photographers and what I've learnt in the lectures. Next week Thursday we have an alumni day where past students will come in and explain what they have been up to since graduating. Our lecturers tell us these sorts of things are incredibly important as you can establish contacts and many students go on to assist various visiting speakers. We also have a couple days for visiting speakers, although not all of them have been confirmed yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment